Saint Marianne de Paredes School was established in 1953 in the city of Pico Rivera in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles under the leadership of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, Fr. Herve Trebol, founding pastor, and Sr. Andrea Carron, SSND, founding principal. On January 2nd, 1953 ground was broken and construction began. The first unit consisted of seven classrooms and an office area built of concrete block with an open portico and a pronounced California mission atmosphere. The school was completed in 1953. Saint Marianne School was officially dedicated in May 1954 when Bishop Manning came to administer the sacrament of Confirmation.

In 1955, nine more classrooms were added as well as a covered walkway. In September of 1955, both Saint Pius X Elementary School and Saint Paul High School used Saint Marianne School until their buildings were completed. The largest enrollment of students at Saint Marianne School was 900 in the 1960’s.

The Saint Marianne School complex includes two classroom buildings with a total of 16 classrooms, a parish hall, a covered lunch area, lit basketball courts and two playing fields. Saint Marianne School offers a challenging curricular and co-curricular program preparing students for acceptance into the local Catholic high schools and ultimately laying a strong foundation for college studies. Saint Marianne School is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and the Western Catholic Education Association.

The school was staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame since its establishment in 1953. The school is now under the leadership of a lay principal. Saint Marianne School is forever grateful to the School Sisters of Notre Dame for over fifty years of service to our school family. May the Notre Dame charism continue to live in us, in all that we do.

St. Marianne School, photo taken 1953 
© 2017. All rights reserved.